Salads can get boring and repetitive if you’re eating them all the time so I find you need to reinvent them. They’re so easy to make and when done well, are so tasty. There’s nothing like a homemade one with fresh ingredients, especially on a Monday trying to start the week being healthy!
- 2 pieces of bacon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or buy the maple cured bacon)
- Baby jem leaves
- 1/4 Halloumi
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 egg
- Olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon to dress
- Soak the bacon in maple syrup and fry until crispy.
- Use the same pan to fry the halloumi so that it soaks up the flavours from the bacon and maple syrup, cook for about two minutes until coated and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes and avocado and shred the baby jems. Assemble on a plate with the bacon and halloumi.
- Boil a saucepan of water and reduce the heat. Use a whisk to whirl the water around until spinning fast. Break an egg into a cup or bowl and pop it into the saucepan, letting it cook for about three and a half minutes until the yolk feels firm but soft.
- Place poached egg on top of salad, season and dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Squeeze a wedge of lemon over the salad and enjoy!